A PARENT'S GUIDE TO RESOURCES AND IDEAS I AM EITHER USING OR WANT TO USE IN MY CLASSROOM.

Friday, March 5, 2010

PowerPoint Presentations and Games

Often my students are behind in core subjects because their behavior has precluded much meaningful instruction for them. Because of this they lack many of the skills of which an average 9th-12th-grade student might have. One of the areas we have been working on recently is studying for the weekly vocabulary/spelling test. As I was exploring ways to help the students interact with the new words I came across this fun PowerPoint game site. One of the games on this page was Password. I divide my class into two teams and the students try to get their teammates to guess the particular vocabulary word by giving them the definitions. If the student guesses the word correctly they get a point and can earn another point for spelling the word correctly. If the student doesn’t guess the word they can still earn a point by spelling the word once their team tells it to them. Since we started using this game, and other studying exercises, the student’s tests scores have definitely gotten better. This page is on the Jefferson County Schools’ (in Dandridge, Tennessee) webpage. These PowerPoint games are teacher created, although I could not find the teacher to credit for the particular game I am using.

No comments:

Post a Comment